Thursday 31 January 2013

Three Day Juice Cleanse: Day 1



A few weeks ago I saw an offer on Groupon for a discount on a three or five day juice cleanse with Soulmate Food. I’ve always thought about doing one, but they are hugely expensive and I just know I wouldn’t do it if I made the juices myself – effort! The discount was 60% off, so I thought it was a good deal and decided to take the plunge. The other positive to Soulmate Food is that they deliver outside of London, which most other companies don’t.


So sure enough, the day before I was due to start the cleanse a box of 18 juices arrived at my door (I went for the three day rather than five) and were put in the fridge in number order. You are given strict instructions to follow the plan and drink the juices in number order, every two hours.

The next day I got up and replaced my normal bowl of cereal for Juice 1 – Carrot, Orange, Ginger and Superfood which was delicious, and I was feeling positive about the whole thing.

Two hours later I cracked open Juice 2 – Pineapple, Banana and Coconut which I knew was not going to be my favourite as I can’t stand banana, but was hopeful that it would be more pineapple than anything else. It wasn’t. So I struggled through and held my nose.

I was hopeful Juice 3 – Antioxidant Blend, Cherries & Mixed Berries – would be another tasty one, but unfortunately they have used banana to thicken it so again, all I could taste was banana which is a shame.

Then came lunch time, and I decided to get out of the office for some fresh air and a green tea. Unfortunately another fail, their green tea is possibly the worst I have tasted so I abandoned this after a few sips in favour of shopping!

Next up was Juice 4 – Raspberry & Pomegranate which I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was hoping for raspberry and guess what I got? Banana, again. Now I’m all for making the juices more substantial to help fill you up, but really, is banana the only thing out there? It kind of makes it pointless when all it does is over power the actual flavour of the juice. This one also tasted exactly like Juice 3 which was odd.

As it approached the point in the afternoon when we all reach for an afternoon snack – read chocolate bar/cake/general sugary treat, my motivation was low and I wasn’t sure if I could carry on another two days of juice. However, I persevered and reached for Juice 5 – Orange, Mango, Passion Fruit & Goji Berry and was obviously expecting banana. I was pleasantly surprised to taste a delicious tropical juice, without even a hint of banana. Thank goodness, as I probably would have thrown it out and reached for said sugary treat.

Faith restored, I went home and cracked open the final juice of the day Juice 6 – Strawberry & Banana. Yep, banana. Now again, I knew I wasn’t going to like this one the most but was hoping that the strawberry would try and overpower the banana. No such luck, another round of holding my nose and trying to take big gulps.

I finished off the day with a cup of hot water and lemon and also managed to drink two litres of water and a couple of cups of green teas throughout the day as well.  

So how did I feel? Well, hungry of course, which was to be expected but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think the key is to keep busy, and as much as it sounds awful trying to do this whilst at work, I think it is better to keep your mind off your stomach and focussed on something else. I’m pretty sure if I had started the first day at home I would have reached for the nearest morsel of food after Juice 2.

Am I looking forward to day 2? Not especially, as I know what to expect with each juice and I’m not excited about a day of bananas again. However, I weighed myself hoping for a bit of motivation and hurrah – 3lbs lighter!

Roll on day 2 – banana, you will not defeat me! Check back for days 2 and 3 and then a final review.

Megan x

No comments:

Post a Comment